Sunday, January 9, 2011

This is not the Crown Plaza

Our expectations were to leave Jerusalem around noon, renting a car and heading north to Nazareth, getting there before dark. We were going to leave after a quick stop at the Temple Mount which is open at only specific times. Unfortunately we got there after it closed but it would be reopening at 12:30. So we had time to kill and ended up at the Rockefeller Archeological Museum "just around the block." We saw some stuff from Jericho's , Hisham's palace (8th C CE) and some other things but we really needed a guide for the experience. We just did not know enough about anything. We got back in time to get up to the Mount, walk around, and experience the wonderful energy of the space. I was glad to return after only 2 years and to share it with Bonnie.

At about 3 we headed north in our rental car and GPS for Nazareth. (I cannot say enough good about the GPS. She [her name is Dame] was responsive, did not do all that recalculating stuff and got us where we needed to go. ) We got here around 6 getting caught in traffic and being a little confused about how to get around in the Old City once we parked our car. I will talk more about the place we are staying in after we have been here for more than 2 hours. The name is Fauzi Azar Inn. I wondered what I had gotten us into as we dragged out luggage over old walks and up hills and steps to get to the Inn which is more like a hostel. We do have a private room, however. There is something strange and interesting about this place and its founder and I really don't can't write about it yet. All I can say is that is not the Crown Plaza, but it is also not the Venus Hotel in Petra (although it has the same heating system.)

To get a feel for this place and what it could mean for Israel, read the recent blog by Bernard Avishai about his experience staying at the inn where some of his students had helped develop a business plan with the owner. Arab Nazareth, Israel Democracy -- Bundist Dreams.

The Old City is difficult to figure out especially in the dark. But we found a restaurant which for me served one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Al-reda is in a restored 120 year old Ottoman mansion. Food and the atmosphere makes this one of the better restaurants in northern Israel.

Will be walking around Nazareth tomorrow, because according to a sign, Jesus did not take a bus.

L'hitraot.

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny! and it is good to have a laugh.

    Meredith left about an hour ago (Psalm 150 was sung under my breath). Now it is just Lo and me. I am going to lunch with Lisa, then Lo and I will go to the 3 faiths exhibit at NYPL, and tonight I go to West End to hear Ayelet speak about "New Jewish Families." A good day.

    love,

    ReplyDelete