Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Moonlight Over the Jerusalem Burma Trail



Just some highlights of the last few days. I am fighting my battery and have no time to sort and think and solve the problems of Israel. Right now I can't even name them.

We had a wonderful few days thinking that we really wanted to go home right then. But things fell into place Sunday we spent the afternoon with Shuli, my second cousin on my mother's side. We ate at an Israeil chain, Aroma, in Kefar Saba and then she drove us around and made it clear how close the borders are to her home. She is very liberal and finds Kadima too conservative but I don't have a fix on her political attitude toward creating peace in Israel. She appreciates the Arabs as people but wants safety for herself and her family. She is not happy with Obama's stance on building in the settlements yet thinks the settlements are a barrier to a solution. The area around where she lives is very close to the Green line and she remembers at a small child in 1948 being afraid to sleep.

After our afternoon I did some email with the son of a friend of mine who lives near Kefar Sabaa and he has no faith in the current PA. I have not discussed any ideas about solutions with him yet but I think I will

On Monday we took the bus/buses into Telaviv to see the Museum of the Diaspora, a truly interesting experience. No pictures. We were just tourists or actually locals out for the day. We strongly recommend the museum restaurant, almost as good as the exhibits.






Tuesday, the last day was as full as the rest. Before our trip to the sea for a last look we walked out behind the village and saw a piece of the Burma Road. Notice that Bonnie is pointing to the trail to validate my words.






We then took off for Ashdod and ended up walking along a beautiful beach and then a market with loads of fresh produce and pastries and just too many wonderful things for the last day of the trip.

We drove by Yavne and waved at the memory of Ben Zakkai and headed east to Rehovot to a cemetery where my mother's father's parents are buried. I had been there in 1989 with Michael and as I remember or don't remember, the trip was an easy bus ride from Telaviv and then a long walk. Fortunately today we had the car because it was a long walk from the center of town and I don't think either place as moved since 89. We had to ask for directions and Allerga, native of Ashdod but living in Rehovot for 16 years got in our car and talked us through the drive to the cemetery. Pretty amazing. An aside, a very important aside, the grave on the left is for Tibe, the woman whose middle name

We passed through Ramla, the town we visited out first day in Israel and headed back to Newe Shalom to finish packing and get to the airport.

Everything is going smoothly including our desire to have a kebab from McDonalds. I suspect the kebab will not be appearing on Micky D's New York or Fort Wayne menu anytime soon.

The moon is almost full.



L'hitraot

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, humorous, sad, sentimental, well written.....thanks for writing it. I like Bonnie pointing to the Burma Road to validate your words! Otherwise, I would not have believed you.

    ReplyDelete